Saturday, June 30, 2018

Having the Holy Spirit # 1

[The below article came about when I responded to a post on another site. It concerned "water baptism" and dealt with the idea that one is saved when one is baptized. I quoted verses pertaining to water baptism: Matt. 3:11-17; Luke 3:21; 11:38; John 1:33; Acts 2:38, and others,  proving what I had said. I also found out, after reading this article, that water baptism is a baptism of repentance only and that is the true meaning of water baptism. Repentance means only that one is sorry for their sins. Then, after prayer and more research, I quite easily and quickly found the below article - one of many articles dealing with water baptism, salvation, regeneration, justification,  and sanctification. And this is one of two keys to the importance of water baptism. It is a key only to repentance. And, just as importantly, it is the key to the onward desire to obtain salvation, which is worked in us through the indwelling Holy Spirit.  Salvation, regeneration, justification, and most importantly, sanctification are still yet to come after water baptism. And I found that there are dozens of wonderful Christians who have so many varied ideas of this subject, I felt that I must try to alleviate  some of the confusion.  I pray seriously that this article will help everyone to understand the importance of the indwelling Holy Spirit because, without Him within each of us, we have no hope of going to heaven! The article is long but I will type as much as I can each day because I too, have been enlightened and blessed by reading it! I have also a few articles from modern-day pastors. I will also print them for next Saturday's postings.]



Having the Holy Spirit # 1

"Worldly people, who do not have the Holy Spirit" (Jude 19).

I take it for granted that every reader of the paper believes in the Holy Spirit. The number of people in this country who are infidels, deists, or Socinians, and openly deny the doctrine of the Trinity, is happily not very great. Most people have been baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. There are few churchmen, at any rate, who have not often heard the well-known words of our old Catechism, "I believe in God, the Holy Spirit, who sanctifies me and all the elect people of God."

But, notwithstanding all this, it would be well for many if they would consider what they know of the Holy Spirit beyond His name. What experimental acquaintance have you with the Spirit's work? What has He done for you? What benefit have you received from Him? You can say of God the Father, "He made me and all the world." You can say of God the Son, "He died for me and all mankind." But can you say anything about the Holy Spirit? Can you say, with any degree of confidence, "He dwells in me, and sanctifies me?" In one word, Have you the Spirit? The text which heads this paper will tell you that there is such a thing as "not having the Spirit." This is the point which I press upon your attention.

I believe the point to be one of vital importance at all seasons. I hold it to be one of special importance in the present day. I consider that clear views about the work of the Holy Spirit are among the best preservatives against the many false doctrines which abound in our times. Allow me then, to lay before you a few things, which by God's blessing, may throw light on the subject of having the Spirit.

1. Let me explain the immense importance of "Having the Spirit."

2. Let me point out the great general principle by which alone the question can be tried, "Have you the Spirit?"

3. Let me describe the particular effects which the Spirit always produces on the souls in which He dwells.

1. Let me, in the first place, explain the immense importance of having the Holy Spirit within.

It is absolutely necessary to make this point clear. Unless you see this, I shall appear like one beating the air all through this paper. Once let your mind lay hold on this, and half the work I want to do is already done for your soul.

I can easily fancy some reader saying, I do not see the use of this question! Supposing I have not the Spirit, what is the mighty harm? I try to do my duty in this world - I attend my church regularly - I receive the Sacrament occasionally - I believe I am as good a Christian as my neighbors. I say my prayers - I trust God will pardon my sins for Christ's sake. I do not see why I should not reach heaven at last, without troubling myself with hard questions about the Spirit."

If these are your thoughts, I entreat you to give me your attention for a few minutes, while I try to supply you with reasons for thinking differently. Believe me, nothing less than your soul's salvation depends on "Having the Spirit." Life or death; heaven or hell; eternal happiness or eternal misery; are bound up with the subject of this paper. Remember, for one thing, if you have NOT the Spirit, you have NO part in Christ, and NO title to Heaven.

The words of Paul are express and unmistakable, "If any man has not the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Him." (Romans 8:9). The words of John are no less clear, "Hereby we know that He abides in us by the Spirit whom He has given us." (1 John 3:24). The indwelling of God the Holy Spirit is the common mark of all true believers in Christ. It is the Shepherd's mark on the flock of the Lord Jesus, distinguishing them from the rest of the world. It is the goldsmith's stamp on the genuine sons of God, which separates them from the dross and mass of false professors. It is the King's own seal on those who are His peculiar people, proving them to be His own property. It is "the pledge" which the Redeemer gives to His believing disciples while they are in the body, as a token of the full and complete "redemption" yet to come in the resurrection morning. (Eph. 1:14). This is the case of all believers. They all have the Spirit.

Let it be distinctly understood that he who has not the Spirit has not Christ. He who has not Christ has no pardon of his sins  - no peace with God - no title to heaven - no well-grounded hope of being saved. His religion is like the house built on the sand. It may look well in fine weather. It may satisfy him in the time of health and prosperity. But when the flood rises, and the wind blows - when sickness and trouble come up against him, it will fall and bury him under its ruins. He lives without a good hope, and without a good hope he dies. He will rise again only to be miserable. He will stand in the judgment only to be condemned; he will see saints and angels looking on, and remember he might have been among them - but too late; he will see lost myriads around him, and find they cannot comfort him - but too late. This will be the end of the man who thinks to reach heaven without the Spirit.

Settle these things down in your memory, and let them never be forgotten. Are they not worth remembering? No Holy Spirit in you - no part in Christ? No part in Christ - no forgiveness of sins! No forgiveness of sins - no peace with God! No peace with God - no title to heaven! No title to heaven - no admission into heaven! No admission into heaven - and what then? Yes - what then? You may well ask. Where will you flee? Which way will you turn? To what refuge will you run? There is none at all. There remains nothing but the bottomless pit. Not admitted into heaven - you must sink at last into bottomless pit.

I ask every reader of this paper to mark well what I say. Perhaps it startles you - but may it not be good for you to be startled? Have I told you anything more than simple scriptural truth? Where is the defective link in the chain of reasoning you have heard? Where is the flaw in the argument? I believe in my conscience there is none. From not having the Spirit to being in the bottomless pit, there is but a long fight of downward steps. Living without the Spirit, you are already on the steps. Living without the Spirit, you are already on the top; dying without the Spirit, you will find your way to the bottom!

Remember, for another thing, if you have not the Spirit you have no holiness of heart, and no fitness for heaven.

Heaven is the place to which all people hope to go after they die. It would be well for many if they considered calmly what kind of dwelling-place heaven is. It is the habitation of the King of kings, who is "of purer eyes than to behold iniquity," and it must needs to be a holy place. It is a place into which Scripture tells us there shall enter in nothing "that defiles, neither whatever works abomination." (Rev. 21:27). It is a place where there shall be nothing wicked, sinful, or sensual - nothing worldly, foolish, frivolous, or profane. There, let the covetous man remember, shall be no more money. There, let the pleasure seeker remember, shall be no more races, theaters, novel reading, or balls. There, let the drunkard and the gambler, remember there shall be no more strong drink, no more dice, no more betting, no more cards. The everlasting presence of God, saints, and angels - the perpetual doing of God's will - the complete absence of everything which God does not approve - these are the chief things which shall make up heaven. It shall be an eternal Sabbath day.

For this heaven we are all by nature utterly unfit. We have no capacity for enjoying its happiness. We have no taste for its blessings. We have no eye to see it's beauty. We have no heart to feel its comforts. Instead of freedom, we would find it constant constraint. Instead of a splendid palace, we would find it a gloomy prison. A fish on dry land, a sheep in the water, an eagle in a cage - would all feel more at ease and in their place than an unholy man in heaven. "Without holiness no man shall see the Lord" (Hebrews 12:14).

~J. C. Ryle~

(continued with # 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment