Saturday, March 21, 2020

God's Knowledge of Us # 1

God's Knowledge of Us # 1

"Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of Him to whom we must give account!" (Hebrews 4:13).

"The Lord searches every heart and understands the intention of every thought!" (1 Chronicles 28:9).

"I am the one who searches out the thoughts and intentions of every person!" (Revelation 2:23).

"O Lord, You know!" (Jeremiah 15:15).

God's perfect knowledge is like the pillar-cloud which led Israel out of Egypt, and through the wilderness: it is dark and a cause of terror to His enemies - but it is light and a source of comfort to His true children.

The thought often cheers us, "My God knows me!" Others may mistake me - He never will. Others may misunderstand me - He never can. He knows me intimately, thoroughly. His eye penetrates the depth of my nature, and looks undere all the mysterious folds of my heart. There is not a thought in my heart, or a word in my tongue - but, "You know me completely, O Lord!" Let me meditate upon this fact, for a short time, in a devotional spirit, for my soul's profit, and the Lord's glory.

"O Lord, You know" my TRIALS. The quarters from which they come, their pressure upon my mind and heart, and the grace I need to bear them patiently, as a Christian ought. O Lord, You know my domestic trials, that they are great; my commercial trials, that they are heavy; my soul trials, which are worst of all. "You have tried me, and known me."

My trials increase with my years, they come from new and unexpected quarters, they often bewilder my mind, and harass my soul - but, "O Lord, You know" them! They do not come unobserved by You. Rather, are they not sent by You, and intended to unsettle my mind from the things of time, and lead me to seek fellowship with the glorious things which are above? May every trial drive me to the feet of Jesus - that I may soothe my troubled spirit with a view of beauty and glory.

"O Lord, You know" my TRIALS! In every trial, Lord, sympathize with me, give me special grace, and help me to endure temptation as a disciple of Jesus should.

"O Lord, You know" my FEARS. They are many, they are painful, they hang on so firmly. Many of them are unfounded, and often cause me much unnecessary pain. I am sometimes afraid of man. Occasionally afraid of God. Often, very often afraid of myself! My heart is so foul, my corruptions are so strong, my lusts are so active, satan is so crafty, my temper is so irritable, and my tongue is so unguarded - that I am afraid that I shall some day fall and dishonor Your holy name!

Then, at times, my mind is so dark, so carnal, so dead to everything that is holy; my heart is so stupid, stubborn, and hard; my affections are so earthly, depraved, and carnal - that I am afraid that my past experience is delusion, my hope unfounded, and my profession a mistake. I am afraid I shall fall short at last - that death will undeceive me, and eternity be spent under the fearful frown of God!

My fears are often so numerous, so powerful, and so natural, that I am as timid as a dove; and sit down and write sad and bitter things against myself.

"O Lord, You know? my FEARS, the cause of them, the nature of them, and the effect of them - and You alone can effectually deliver me from them.

"O Lord, You know" my FOES. They are deceptive, dogged, and determined. They watch me, worry me, and weary me. They lay wait for me. They praise - and try to deceive me. They flatter - and try to puff me up. They threaten - and try to intimidate me. The old roaring lion - seeks to destroy me. The old serpent - endeavors to beguile me with his subtlety.

O the enemies I find in my heart! At times I meet with them in the church. Occasionally I come in contact with them in the world. My enemies are numerous, and they are powerful - but, "O Lord, You know" them all. They can only act under Your eye! You are present in their secret councils. You know their private plots, You watch their craftiest movements.

O what a comfort it is - when I can believe that God is my Father, and realize that He has all my enemies under His eye, and that He holds them all in check!

~James Smith~

(continued with # 2)

No comments:

Post a Comment