Monday, November 25, 2013

Patience with Perspective


But those who wait on the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles, they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint. - Isaiah 40:31

Are there ever times when you become tired of trying? From work to your family, the list of needs seem endless with all fingers pointing to you. You know the promises of God and know that He is absolutely working in your life, but the “flesh” part of you becomes worn out and on edge.

The other night, at dinner time, I was trying to cook…and help with homework…and talk to my mother who was visiting. In addition, the phone was ringing, the news was on and my youngest child was singing for everyone to hear.  I could sense the tension rising within me. The noise seemed too loud and the night was becoming too long.  Because I recognized these feelings and knew how poorly I have handled them before, with all the self control I could muster, I prayed to the Lord and said, “Please help me do all this with an attitude and with words that would please You.”  Immediately I sensed the Lord say to me, “Enjoy it; find peace right now.” That thought was the furthest thing from my mind but those words pierced my heart.

It just doesn’t matter if everything gets done on time or in the right order. It just does not matter if there are grease stains on my daughter’s homework paper and there are dishes left in the sink when I go to bed. What does matter is that I honor the Lord by pouring out His love through me especially in the times that push and pull on my nerves. What matters is that I find the joy of the Lord in everyday challenges and appreciate every passing moment of the day. It is in these most challenging times, when you feel as if everyone is looking to you, that you can only endure by continuing to look to the Lord. God hears and answers the smallest of prayers when they are dripping with honesty. He knows us and understands us. Today, when the anxiety is increasing and your patience is decreasing, turn to the Lord so that you can soar above the circumstances while renewing your perspective and strength.

~Daily Disciples Devotional~

No comments:

Post a Comment