Saturday, November 29, 2014

Idolatry


The most predominant sin we find in the Bible that stopped the rain of God's blessing from falling was idolatry. Maybe you are thinking, "Well, that's great, but it doesn't really apply. I'm not tempted to go to the nearest pagan shrine and bow down and worship a carved image."

Hold on, though. As you read the New Testament you begin to realize it has a lot to say to us about idolatry. For example, 1 Corinthians 10:14 says, Flee from idolatry, and 1 John 5:21says, Little children, keep yourselves from idols.
Wycliffe in his commentary says, "An idol is anything which occupies the place due to God." An idol is anything in your life that competes with God.

Colossians 3:5 says, …covetousness, which is idolatry. In other words, your stuff can become an idol. Greed can become an idol; money can become your idol. If anything becomes the main pursuit of your life, other than God, then that thing becomes an idol.

It can be your job, your boyfriend or girlfriend, your husband, your wife, or even a child. It can be a sport, a hobby, fame, anything that comes before God in your life.

I once saw an interview of one of my favorite golfers. He was a brilliant golfer who had won major tournaments. In the interview he said, "I've had a love affair with the game of golf. But I want to tell you, it cost me my marriage. It's cost me my relationship with my kids. Golf has been my god."

The interviewer asked him, "If you had all of it to do over again, what would you do differently?" He said, "Nothing. I'd do it all the same." 

You will never experience God's blessing if there is an idol in your life. Is there?

~Bayless Conley~

No comments:

Post a Comment