Thursday, November 27, 2014

Not Our Favorite Word


Wives, submit to your own husbands, as is fitting in the Lord. Colossians 3:18

The word "submit" is not one of our favorite words in the English vocabulary. I actually heard that on certain computer programs and websites, the word "submit" will be removed (Submit is usually the button clicked on a website when someone agrees to a purchase, accepts contractual terms for a software product or approves other related entries to get to the next link). For wives, the word "submit" is often scoffed at. The thought of it makes many of us downright angry at times. Why is it so hard for us to submit, especially to our husbands? Oh, there are lots of reasons…too many to list here.

Here is the key for us to get past this issue: we must place our feelings about it before the Lord and ask Him to help us. Why? Because the Bible tells us to submit. But, let me comment on a couple of notes about this. First, submission involves respect and honor, not a doormat mentality. Second, submission is a place of strength, not weakness because it gives God the power to work on our behalf. Our first submission is to God, then the rest will follow. The enemy will blind you with your own pride and selfishness to keep you from submitting to the Lord. Our pride keeps us from humbling ourselves and serving others, even our own husbands. Let the Lord work these issues out with you and you will see the power of God displayed in amazing ways in your life.

I learn something every day about submission, whether I like it or not. Just the other day, my husband asked my help in something and then demanded of me what he wanted me to do. With this specific task, I was truly clueless. After unsuccessfully pleading my case with him, I submitted and vowed to do whatever I could to help him. Behind the scenes, I begged the Lord to help me. I repented of my rebellious heart and I gave up the fight. I saw the Lord not only rescue me from the task, but also show my husband what to do to find the answers himself. It is simply amazing to watch the Lord move like that! For me, my heart was tested. Was I willing to humble myself and submit? This time I did…but believe me, I have to pray and ask for the Lord's help every single time I get into these struggles with submission. God will get the glory as we submit to Him first and then ask Him for His help towards others. 

~Daily Disciples Devotional~

No comments:

Post a Comment