Wednesday, November 18, 2015

'For Whom the Lord Loveth He Disciplines" # 12

The Discipline of Spiritual Enlargement:

Psalm 4:1; 2 Thess. 1:3, 4; 2 Corinthians 6:3-12

Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: Thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer ... We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that your faith groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth; so that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure ... Giving no offence in anything, that the ministry be not blamed: but in all things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses, in stripes, in imprisonments, in tumults, in labors, in watchings, in fastings; by pureness, by knowledge, by long-suffering, by kindness, by the Holy Spirit, by love unfeigned, by the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armor of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, by honor and dishonor, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true; as unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as chastened, and not killed; as sorrowful, yet always rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all things. O ye Corinthians, our mouth is open unto you, our heart is enlarged. Ye are not straitened (limited) in us, but  ye are straitened in your own bowels - your own innermost being - heart, spirit and soul. Now for a recompense in the same, (I speak as unto my children,) be ye also enlarged.

The Discipline of No:

Deut. 3:24-26; 2 Corinthians 12:7-9

O Lord God, Thou hast begun to shew Thy servant Thy greatness, and Thy mighty hand: for what God is there in heaven or in earth, that can do according to Thy works, and according to Thy might? I pray thee, let me go over, and see the good land that is beyond Jordan, that goodly mountain, and Lebanon. But the Lord was wroth with me for your sakes, and would not hear me: and the Lord said unto me, Let it suffice thee; SPEAK NO MORE UNTO ME OF THIS MATTER.

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure. For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me. And HE SAID unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I  glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

The Discipline of Rejection:

1 Samuel 8:7; Isaiah 53:3; Mark 8:31; 1 Peter 2:5, 6

And the Lord said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have REJECTED ME, that I should not reign over them ... He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief:  and we hid as it were our faces from Him; He was despised, and we esteemed Him not ... And He began to teach them, that the Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected of the elders, and of the chief priests, and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again ... And coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected by man, but choice - chosen or elect - and precious in the sight of God, you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.

~T. Austin-Sparks~

(continued with # 13)

No comments:

Post a Comment