Sunday, November 8, 2015

"For Whom The Lord Loveth He Disciplines" # 3

The Discipline of Love

1 Corinthians 13:1 -10

Thus

I may speak with the tongues of men
and of angels, but if I have no love, I 
am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal;

I may prophesy, fathom all mysteries
and secret lore,

I may have such absolute faith that I
can move hills from their place, but if
I have no love, I count for nothing;
I may distribute all I possess in charity,

I may give up my body to be burnt, but
if I have no love, I make nothing of it.

Love is very patient, very kind, Love knows no jealousy; Love makes no parade, gives itself no airs, is never rude, never selfish, never irritated, never resentful; Love is never glad when others go wrong, Love is gladdened by goodness, always slow to expose, always eager to believe the best, always hopeful, always patient. Love never disappears. As for prohphesying, it will be superseded, as for "tongues," they will cease; as for knowledge, it will be superseded. For we only know bit by bit; but when the perfect comes, the imperfect will be superseded.

THE DISCIPLINE OF A MEEK AND QUIET SPIRIT: -

Matthew 11:29; 1 Corinthians 4:21; 2 Corinthians 10:1; Galatians 5:22, 23; 6:1; Ephesians 4:1, 2; Colossians 3:12; 1 Timothy 6:11; 2 Timothy 2:25; Titus 3:2; 1 Peter 3:4; 1 Thess. 4:11; 2 Thess. 3:12; Psalm 4:4; Psalm 46:10

"Take My yoke upon you, and learn of Me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."

"What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and in the spirit of meekness."

Now I Paul myself beseech you by the meekness and gentleness of Christ, who in presence am base among you, but being absent am bold toward you."

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law."

Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual, restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself, lest thou also be tempted."

I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called, with all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love."

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering."

But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness."

In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth."

To speak evil of no man, to be no brawlers, but gentle, shewing all meekness unto all men."

But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price."

And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you."

Now them that are such we command and exhort by our Lord Jesus Christ, that with quietness they work, and eat their own bread."

Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still, be quiet. Selah."

"Be still, be quiet in spirit, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth."

THE DISCIPLINE OF PERILOUS TIMES: -

2 Timothy 3:1-13; Psalm 23:4, 5

"This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy, without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accursers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good, traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God; having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away. For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts, ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith. But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as their also way. But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered me. Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for Thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: Thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over."

~T. Austin-Sparks~

(continued with # 4)

No comments:

Post a Comment