Saturday, September 3, 2016

Hymns, poems of Praise and Worship

We are told to become Christlike. What does that mean? What are the qualities of Christ that we desire to be in us?
Qualities of Jesus:

 Holiness, unselfish love, kindness, forgiveness, zeal, humility and heavenly-mindedness. These qualities are what we should be to be Christlike.
______________________

Draw Me Nearer

I am Thine, O Lord, I have heard Thy voice,
And it told Thy love to me;
But I long to rise in the arms of faith
And be closer drawn to Thee.

Refrain:

Draw me nearer, nearer blessed Lord,
To the Cross where Thou hast died;
Draw me nearer,nearer, nearer blessed Lord,
To Thy precious, bleeding side.

Consecrate me now to Thy service, Lord,
By the pow'r of grace divine;
Let my soul look up with a steadfast hope,
And my will be lost in Thine.

Oh, the pure delight of a single hour
That before Thy throne I spend,
When I kneel in prayer, and with Thee, my God,
I commune as friend with friend!

There are depths of love that I cannot know
Till I cross the narrow sea;
There are heights of joy that I may not reach
Till I rest in peace with Thee.

~Frances J. Crosby~
________________________

There Is a Light that Shines on Me

~Catherine Booth-Glibborn (The Mareshale)~

There is a light that shines on me,
The light of Jesus' face;
O what a glory thus to be
The subject of His grace!

There is a power that falls on me
As in the Upper Room,
Dispelling all carnality,
Dispelling fear and gloom.

And there is a love constraining me
To go and seek the lost;
I yield, O Lord, my all to Thee,
To save at any cost!
______________________

O Lord God Almighty, not the God of the philosophers and the wise but the God of the prophets and apostles; and better than all, the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, may I express Thee unblamed? They that know Thee not may call upon Thee as other than Thou art, and so worship not Thee but a creature of their own fancy; therefore enlighten our minds that we may know Thee as Thou art, so that we may perfectly love Thee and worthily praise Thee. In the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, Amen
______________________

Fallen Leaves

Lord, let my eyes see ev''ry need of ev'ry man,
Make me stop and al - ways lend a help-ing hand;
Then when I'm laid be-neath that lit-tle grass-y mound,
There'll be more friends a-round than leaves up-on the ground.

Chorus:

Fal-len leaves that lie scat-tered on the ground,
The birds and flow-ers that were here can-not be found;
All the friends he ev-er had are not a-round,
They are scat-tered like the leaves up-on the ground.

Some folks drift a-long thru life and nev-er thrill,
To the feel-ing a good deed brings un-til;
It's too late, and they are read-y to lie down,
There be-neath the leaves scat-tered on the ground.

To your grave there's no use tak-ing an-y gold,
You can't use it when it's time for hands to fold;
When you leave this earth for a bet-ter home some  day,
The on-ly things you take is what you gave a-way.

No comments:

Post a Comment