Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Hymns/Poems of Praise and Worship

Holy Spirit, Faithful Guide

~M. M. Wells~

Holy Spirit, faithful Guide,
Ever near the Christian's side;
Gently lead us by the hand,
Pilgrims in a desert land;
Weary souls fore'er rejoice,
While they hear that sweetest voice,
Whisp'ring softly, "Wand'rer, come!
Follow Me, I'll guide thee home."

Ever present, truest Friend,
Ever near Thine aid to lend,
Leave us not to doubt and fear,
Groping on in darkness drear;
When the storms are raging sore,
Hearts grow faint, and hopes give o'er.
Whisp'ring softly, "Wand'rer, come!
Follow Me, I'll guide thee home."

When our days of toil shall cease,
Waiting still for sweet release,
Nothing left but heav'n and prayer,
Wond'ring if our names were there;
Wading deep the dismal flood,
Pleading naught but Jesus' blood,
Whisp'ring softly, "Wand'rer, come!
Follow Me, I'll guide thee home.
_________________________

And Can It Be, That I Should Gain?

~Charles Wesley~

And can it be that I should gain
An int'rest in the Saviour's blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain?
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! how can it be
That Thou, my God, should die for me?

Refrain:

Amazing love! how can it be
That Thou, my God, should die for me!

'Tis mystery all! Th' Immortal dies!
Who can explore His strange design?
In vain the firstborn seraph tries
To sound the depths of love divine!
'Tis mercy all! let earth adore,
Let angel minds inquire no more.

He left His Father's throne above,
So free,so infinite His grace;
Emptied Himself of all but love,
And bled for Adam's helpless race;
'Tis mercy all, immense and free;
For, O my God, it found out me.

Long my imprisoned spirit lay
Fast bound in sin and nature's night;
Thine eye diffused a quick'ning ray,
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light;
My chains fell off, my heart was free;
I rose, went forth and followed Thee.

No condemnation now I dread;
Jesus, and all in Him is mine!
Alive in Him, my living Head,
And clothed in righteousness divine,
Bold I approach th' eternal throne,
And claim the crown, through Christ my own.
________________________

Canaanland Is Just In Sight

~Jeff Gibson~

Moses led God's children,
for forty years he led them 
Thru the cold and thru the night;
Tho they said, "Let's turn back," 
Moses said, "Keep going, 
Canaanland is just in sight."

Chorus:

There will be no sorrow, 
There in that tomorrow.
We will be there by and by;
Milk and honey flowing,
that is where I'm going,
Canaanland is just in sight sight.

Tho we walk thru valleys, 
tho we climb high mountains,
We can not give up the fight;
We must be like Moses,
we must keep on going,
Canaanland is just in sight.
________________________

Forward!

~Carrie E. Breck~

Christ, our mighty captain, leads against the foe,
We will never falter when He bids us go;
Tho' His righteous purpose we may never know,
Yet we'll follow all the way.

Refrain:

Forward! forward! 'tis the Lord's command;
Forward! forward! to the promised land;
Forward! forward! let the chorus ring:
We are sure to win with Christ, our king!

satan's fearful onslaughts cannot make us yield;
While we trust in Christ, our buckler and our shield;
Pressing ever on - the Spirit's sword we wield,
And we follow all the way.

Let our glorious banner ever be unfurled;
From its mighty stronghold evil shall be hurled;
Christ, our mights Captain, overcomes the world,
And we follow all the way.

Fierce the battle rages - but 'twill not be long,
Then triumphant, shall we join the blessed throng,
Joyfully uniting in the victor's song -
If we follow all the way.
________________________

On Jordan's Stormy Banks I Stand

~Samuel Stennett~

On Jordan's stormy banks I stand,
and cast a wishful eye
to Canaan's fair and happy land,
where my possessions lie.

Refrain:

I am bound for the promised land,
I am bound for the promised land;
oh, who will come and go with me?
I am bound for the promised land.

O'er all those wide extended plains
shines one eternal day;
there God the Son forever reigns,
and scatters night away.

No chilling winds or poisonous breath
can reach that healthful shore;
sickness and sorrow, pain and death,
and felt and feared no more.

When I shall reach that happy place,
I'll be forever blest,
for I shall see my Father's face,
and in His bosom rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment