Saturday, July 20, 2019

A Call to Separation # 3

A Call to Separation # 3

The contrasts presented are very pointed and searching. "Righteousness" is right doing; "wickedness" is wrong doing. The unerring and only standard of right doing is "the Word of Righteousness." (Heb. 5:13). By this alone, is the Christian's life and walk to be regulated. But the worldling disregards and defies it.

Then what "fellowship" can there be between one who is in subjection to God's Word - with one who is not? "Light" and "darkness." God is light (1 John 1:5) and His saints are "the children of light." (Luke 16:8). But the children of the wicked one are "darkness." (Eph. 5:8). What communion then, can there be between members of families so dissimilar?

"Christ" and the devil - what concord can there be between one to whom Christ is everything, and one who despises and rejects Him?

"For we are the temple of the living God. As God said - "I will live in them and walk among them. I will be their God, and they will be my people!" How blessed is this!

First, we have the exhortation given, Do not be yoked together with unbelievers."

Second, the reason adduced, "for what fellowship has righteousness with wickedness?"

Third, the inducement offered. (2 Corinthians 6:16-17). This is a divine promise, and it is striking to note, that it is a sevenfold promise:

1. "I will live in them,"

2. I will walk among them,"

3. "I will be their God,"

4. "they shall be My people,"

5. I will welcome you,"

6. "I will be your Father,"

7. "you will be My sons and daughters."

"I will live in them," is fellowship.

"I will walk among them," is companionship.

"I will be their God," is relationship. "If God is is for us - who can be against us?" (Romans 8:31).

"They shall be My people," is ownership, acknowledged as His.

"I will welcome you," means being brought to the place of experimental and conscious nearness to God.

"I will be your Father" means "I will manifest Myself to you in this character, impart to your hearts all the joys of such."

"You will be My sons and daughters" means, that such godly separation from the world will afford demonstration that we are His "sons and daughters." Compare Matt. 5:44).

"Says the Lord Almighty." This is the only time the divine title "Almighty" is found in all the twenty-one Epistles of the New Testament! It seems to be brought in here for the purpose of emphasizing the sufficiency of our Resource. As another has said, "Let any Christian act on the Command of separation given in 2 Corinthians 6:14-17, and he will find his path so beset with difficulties and so tending to arouse the hostility of all, that if his eyes are not kept fixed on the Almighty God who has thus called him out - he will surely have a breakdown." But let it be noted that these promises are conditional; conditional on obeying the preceding exhortations. Yet if the heart lays hold of this blessed inducement, then obedience to the command will be easy and pleasant!

~A. W. Pink~

(The End)

No comments:

Post a Comment