Thursday, August 2, 2012

Simply Be Still

"Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth" (Psalm 46:10)


"Don't just stand there! Do something!" This is a familiar call to action in our modern world. However, there is something inherently dangerous when we try to force this way of thinking into our spiritual lives.


Too often, whether we voice the belief or not, we act as though God needs our help. We wrestle with God for some degree of control over the events in our lives. In effect, we make a proud stand and proclaim, "Okay, God, I think this is what You want to happen, so I'm going to work and work and work and make it come about."


Somewhere in the back of our minds, we hear the time-honored counsel, "God helps those ho help themselves." In fact, the vast majority of Christians believe that this word of advice is in the Bible. It is not.


Actually, this statement is 100 percent contrary to the Word of God, which instead tells us to be still. The Father knows that we cannot help ourselves. That is the very reason He sent His Son to die - because we were utterly helpless to improve our sinful condition (Romans 5:8).


While we seek to do God's will, we must not forget His fundamental call to stillness before Him. When we are still and quiet in His presence, we put ourselves in the most teachable position possible.


Are you too busy trying to keep up with God? Lay down your efforts and simply be still. What you discover in the stillness my revolutionize your call to Christian service.


Lord, I cease from my own efforts. I wait in stillness before You. Amen


~Charles Stanley~

No comments:

Post a Comment