Tuesday, February 14, 2012

It Doesn't Take Science to Prove God and His Word

Young people are concerned and some people are worried, they say, about whether we have the infallible Word of God.


As far as I'm concerned, grant me God Himself, and I'm not worried about His writing a book.


Grant the Being and Presence of God, and that settles it!


I receive a lot of magazines, most of which I dutifully and joyously never read. I looked at one recently after I came home in the evening, and it had a question and answer department in it.


One question was: "Dear Doctor So and So: What about the whale swallowing Jonah? Do you believe that?"


And the good doctor replied: "Yes, I believe it. Science proves that there are whales big enough to swallow men."


I folded the magazine, and laid it down, for that man had come up to bat, but he had struck out beautifully.


For I believe that Jonah was swallowed by a whale, not because a scientist has crawled in and measured the whale's belly, and come out and said, "Yes, God can do that."


If God said that Jonah was swallowed by a whale, then the whale swallowed Jonah, and we do not need a scientist to measure the gullet of the whale.


Why are we fussing around finding out the collar size of a whale, or how big his neck is? Grant me God, and you can take care of all the whales!


Whenever I find men running to science to find support for the Bible, I know they are rationalists and not true believers!


Grant me God and miracles take care of themselves.


"Is healing for us today?" someone asks. My answer to that: "Is God still alive?" And the answer is, "Yes, God is still alive!" All right, then, healing is for us today. Whatever God did and was able to do and willing to do at any time, God is able and willing to do again, within the framework of His will!


So what we need to do is get acquainted with God.


A little boy thinks his father can do anything. Now, he can't, but the little boy thinks he can. If the father tells the son, "I personally whipped Adolph Hitler, trimmed his moustache off, and have him in a cage in Caledonia," that's what the little boy is going to tell his chum across the street.


He will say with confidence, "My Dad told me, and my Dad can do anything!"


Now, in an infinitely higher and more perfect and holy sense, it is not whether we can understand it or not, it is whether God said it or not! And if God said "I AM," I respectfully bow and say, "O God, Thou art!"


I don't start running around and questioning God's ability to do anything. Letting God prove Himself through the channels of our lives is the answer. Grant me God, and the task will not be too big!


~A. W. Tozer~

No comments:

Post a Comment